I called ICE this morning at 7 am Central Time/8 am Eastern time at 888-351-4024. A live person eventually answered but spoke so softly that I could hardly hear her. I asked that Max's deportation be stopped immediately since it was scheduled for today. She asked for my name, and said she would document the call. I emphasized the importance of immediate action and asked if there was anybody else I could call, and she said no.
At 8:22 am, I called the Omaha ICE office at 402-536-4918. A live person immediately answered and I gave the same message, asking for immediate action. She asked my name and I said who I was and also that I was chairman of the Outreach committee of the Mennonite Church in Iowa. She said "thank you" and that was it.
I'm assuming that all of ICE is aware of our concern and is not responding with any information, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to call to express our concern. Let us know on the Facebook page if you get any unusual response.
Keep those calls coming !! (see phone numbers below) Who knows what is going on !
Let's keep Max and the ICE officials in our prayers. Things to pray for:
1. that ICE officials change their hearts and minds and cancel or delay the deportation
2. that Max be strengthened by the Holy Spirit and surrounded by the love of God and care of the church
3. that the door to Max's cell/room be stuck so that they can't get him out (as opposed to the door to the cell of Paul and Silas in Acts 16:25-34 which God opened ! )
4. that the paperwork for Max's deportation be lost, misplaced, or destroyed
5. that the vehicle to transport Max to the airport develop mechanical trouble
6. that a tree fall across the road and block the vehicle carrying Max
7. that the plane develop mechanical trouble and be unable to take off
Maybe you can think of other things to pray for !!
Finally, let us remember the financial strain on the family (and the church) that Max's absence and incarceration causes. Perhaps we can help out with that eventually.