Shalom Readers is a simple program to lead in your congregation. Here are the steps it takes--add your own creativity and organization, and your church's children will have a great faith-forming opportunity!
1. Download and make copies of the brochure. Give one to each family with children aged 4-14. Hang the poster (above) in the church.
2. Download the book list. This list was also printed and distributed to each Central Plains congregation’s Christian Education/Nurture Committee.
3. Set up a procedure for signing up to participate in Shalom Readers.
4. Sign in as a Shalom Reader Leader.
5. Make Shalom Readers books available to the children. See the FAQ page for ideas on how to do this.
6. Help children find books to read in their age group. Give them a book record to keep track of the books they've read.
7. Equip children to do their two creative responses.
8. Receive their creative responses with encouraging feedback. Take the opportunity to talk about the way of Jesus and how the book fits it, and how we can live it every day.
9. See that each participating reader submits the online reader record form that reports the books they read and names their gift book. You can collect their book records (above) as a reference and fill out the form yourself, or show the children how to fill out the form.
10. If you like, you may ask your regional coordinator to send the gift books to the church address so you can make a presentation during the worship service or Sunday School.