Shalom Readers is a simple program to lead in your congregation. Here are the steps it takes--add your own creativity and organization, and your church's children and adults will have a great faith-forming opportunity!
1. Download and make copies of the brochure. Give one to each individual or family in the church.
2. Download the book list.
3. Set up a procedure for signing up to participate in Shalom Readers.
4. Make Shalom Readers books available to the children in your congregation, give adults access to the Shalom Readers (for adults) list.
5. Give everyone who wants to participate a book record to keep track of the books they've read.
6. Equip children to do their two creative responses. Offer assistance to adults who are looking for ways to engage with their reading.
7. Receive children's creative responses with encouraging feedback. Take the opportunity to talk about the way of Jesus and how the book fits it, and how we can live it every day.
8. See that each participating reader submits the online reader record form that reports the books they read and names their gift book. You can collect their book records (above) as a reference and fill out the form yourself, or show participants how to fill out the form.
9. If you like, you may ask your regional coordinator to send the gift books to the church address so you can make a presentation during the worship service or Sunday School.